Thursday, October 19, 2006

reflections


I have been constantly forced to think about my choices these days(summer internships are three weeks away). A week ago I was dead sure that Im going for finance, analytics kind of work. But after deliberating carefully, Im back to square one. A friend of mine who is in industry thinks that sales and marketing is what an MBA is supposed to do. Generally I stick to my decisions. However this guy is so intelligent and I value his opinion.

So the idea of this post came into existence. Let me try to finish this post and by the end of the post, I hope to get something concrete.
I guess my strengths are more suited to Finance. I can do maths, better than most of the guys. I can reason things. I can model, design. Above all, I love doing them. On the contrary, I cant speak with people and am poor in dealing them. So when it comes to sales, I am naturally at a disadvantage. However this is where my ego comes into picture. I cant leave the field without competing with them in their own game. I want to go for finance after i can satisfy myself that Im better than many people in marketing. Im also worried whether Im an ostrich who hides his head to pretend nothing happened. I cant go for finance just because I cant do marketing. When I do it, It has to be a result of selection and not elimination.

The reason why random choices work in life is "its sometimes advantageous not to have the knowledge of something because that knowledge can lead u in a wrong path".
Hence I m thinking of random choices in my summers as well.
who can help me out of this situation ? May be I need to speak with someone in the industry with 5 -6 years of experience. The only worrying factor is that I have never been in a flux state for 7+ days continuously. All the important decisions were taken instantaneously. PG,company,XL - every damn thing was taken in a split second. But the decision of what I want to pursue is eluding me.

Is a back office analytic work(beating the markets for example) better than moving with people,building business(marketing related) or is it other way round ??
Im more confused at the end of post. Infact im enjoying this predicament. Fuzzy is living up to his reputation. Im as clear as the road in the pic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what's common between us?
We are both bloody confused.

Why can't we be just sure about what to do? Knowledge about knowledge (can I call it meta knowledge) is not such a good thing after all :)

The Lonely Backpacker said...

@vimal
u speak like our prof DJ at IIT.... for more info sandeep(his favorite student) can pitch in.

Anonymous said...

i wont say anything here. :)

i like that (his fav student) very much :)

dude.. try to see and weigh the pros and cons of both options.

sands.

PS: Was not in the internet world for two days !!

The Lonely Backpacker said...

@sands
"dude.. try to see and weigh the pros and cons of both options"

this is what we call as GLOBAL GAS...... :))... this advice can apply to any situation. he he