Friday, July 21, 2006

four generations behind

I had a village trip as a part of course curriculum. A batch of 7 went to a village, some 80 kms from Jamshedpur. We were told that power will not be available in the evenings. So I cant take my books and study out there. The shocks which I got out there
1 - There is no Current supply to that village (infact some 100 villages near by)
2 - There is 1 Govt school for some 20 villages.
3 - One teacher for 1-7 std. He will be shuttling between the classes.
4 - Anyone can sit in any class
5 - Most of time, he will bunk the classes.
6 - Its a Naxalite area. Each guy gets somewhere around 5k per month if he joins them.
We did ask some questions to the students in that govt school
The fifth standard gal took some 5 minutes to answer 21 * 5.
One question they answered instantaneously : who's our prez ?
7 - yeah.. this is a Chief ministers constituency :)
8 - Theres no irrigation. Only when it rains , they get some water. We saw a lady fetching some water from a well (where most of us will not even take bath in that)

Thank god. We were staying in a catholic school. The father was very kind in allowing us to use his loo. Missionaries are doing a good job. We may disagree with their intentions but providing education is finest things in life ... They are some 4 generations behind.. was thinking abt lot to blog about this trip..but not in a mood to pen down...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still we are eyeing at higher and higher economic growth rate... :)

Will capitalistic ideas help to improve their living conditions?

Sands | കരിങ്കല്ല് said...

I cant believe these sort of stuff. I know they are true. Once I also should do some trip like this to know the soul of India. I have always appreciated the work of missionaries. I'm happy to know you also do the same now.

@Anon

Capitalistic ideas WILL definitely help to improve their living conditions. It's the absence of that makes them continue in the same way.

Anonymous said...

To survive in a capitalistic world, I believe, one should be highly competitive. Do U believe that these people have the skills and opportunities to compete?

Sands | കരിങ്കല്ല് said...

To survive (not necessarily capitalistic world) itself one should be competitive unless (s)he should have surplus resources..

If you agree, please continue..

It's evident that they have just bare minimum resources => means, there should be competition.

if you agree, please continue..

the moment competition starts, there is capitalistic attitude and thoughts. That's all I want to say

if you dont agree,

1. Read "Anthem" by Ayn Rand (120+ pages. max 3 hours read.
2. Watch the first 30 minutes of the movie "Gods must be crazy - 1".

Requesting to give out your identity.

- Sands.
I Love to argue!!

Anonymous said...

I am not saying that you should not be competitive or we have surplus resources. I just want point out the fact that there is a huge portion of our population (INDIA's) which can't even satisfy there basic needs.

For them, things which I and U consider as extremely necessary for survival, are still ultra luxury.
I don't know how competitive they are.
So my point is, "this not the right time for India Government to completely go with capitalistic ideas".

By the way do U consider robbery as a mode of competition ? :)

Hope my view has nothing to do with my Identity :)

The Lonely Backpacker said...

communists everywhere are crony capitalists... But I agree with land reforms and education they brought to the country...

wondering who the anon is ?? :)

Sands | കരിങ്കല്ല് said...

@anon

you are a real communist. I was testing whether you will give out YOUR identity. No, there also you gave importance to the idea/view. No significance for the person. That's cool.. and it stands by your policies.

and since I know who you are now. I am glad. and I am stupid that I couldnt recognise you without your help.

- sands